An Introduction to In Recognition of Incest Survivors, Inc. (I.R.I.S.)
· The purpose of IRIS is to provide support and education to survivors of incest and their non-offending family members by creating a safe and respectful community for healing and restoration.
· IRIS was founded in 2012 by a volunteer Board of Directors passionate about ending incest culture in our time by providing healing support, education, and inspiration to adult survivors of incest and their non-offending family members.
· A conversation about incest and incest culture is long past due as we strive to address other human rights concerns such as rape as a weapon of war, female genital mutilation, and sexual slavery/human trafficking. The culture of incest is a culture of entitlement of the powerful and suppression of basic human rights and, as such, is at the heart of the global disease of exploitation of the vulnerable. Child sexual abuse teaches children that they must live without the hope of enjoying the same human rights as those who are given permission to grow into autonomous and respected human beings, thus perpetuating the cycle of an “underclass” of people.
· When as adults we attain the human rights denied to us as children and become accountable to ourselves for the quality of our life experiences, we defy the dismal statistics of survivors that have been created by a dysfunctional system that contributes to oppression and re-victimizes the victims.
· Rising together, we affirm that we are not bound by the current, destructive and hopeless scenario – we claim our place as strong protectors of our own human rights and those of other vulnerable people.
Learn more about IRIS
The specific purpose of In Recognition of Incest Survivors, Inc. (I.R.I.S.) is to provide support and education to survivors of incest and their non-offending family members by creating a safe and respectful community for healing and restoration.